Saturday, May 22, 2010

A Star is Born: Perogie-gut Tarts

After 2 relatively unsuccessful attempts at making the Sweet Potato and Smoked Gouda perogies, I still had filling, but no desire to mess around with the dough again. So, for a wine and cheese that I hosted for my work colleagues last month, I took the filling, added in a few egg whites (I conveniently had them in the freezer after making the perogies, which call for yolks only in the dough ....), dolloped the mixture into little tart shells, and voila, had a very successful new appetizer. These also freeze well, so we'll be bringing the remainder to a bbq we're going to next week. I think that I will make these again before making the perogies - they captured the flavour without the fuss of the crumbly dough. I also did baked brie with caramelized pears and thyme (one of my favourite LCBO recipes), blueberry/lemon/ricotta cupcakes (using what remained of the runny lemon ricotta filling from the Rebar blintzes), caramelized onion/pesto/goat cheese pizza, and cherry tomato/basil/bocconcini skewers, along with nuts, dried apricots, grapes, etc. I think it's one of the best spreads I've ever put together: it made me want to throw parties every week!

No comments:

Post a Comment