Sunday, January 24, 2010

Roasted Vegetable Strudel and Rebar Chocolate Cake


Inspired by my boyfriend's (belated) birthday dinner, I made two Rebar recipes: Roasted Vegetable Strudel and Rebar Chocolate Cake. Although I was initially intimidated by the reputation of the cake recipe (having heard some disaster stories from poor timing of steps), I was surprised how well it turned out. The strudel, however, was more difficult than I expected. I found the recipe not entirely clear about how to handle the phyllo sheets, causing some mistakes on my part. Pictures in the recipe would be helpful! I also found the strudel a little too rich (could have skipped the cheese perhaps?). Chocolate cake, on the other hand, can never be too rich (or chocolately). Four stars for the cake, and three bars. Two stars for the strudel and three bars.

2 comments:

  1. Uh - Carrie -I think it might be sacrilegious to say you want to leave out the cheese!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm ... I am contemplating the strudel recipe and I agree the book isn't clear. Did you figure out in the end how we are supposed to handle the phyllo? Is it one layer per strudel or ??

    Looks great in your picture!

    ReplyDelete