Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The Slaw that Changed my Life

I'm on a roll, and my latest Rebar recipe is Vegetable Slaw with Jalepeno-Lime dressing (p. 29). I bought a cabbage last week at the market for spring rolls, and used a tiny bit, so there was plenty to get used in something else. I first made soup, and used 7 cups, but still had an awful lot of cabbage left, so I cracked open Rebar, remembering that Sim'n'Nic blogged a 'slaw a few months ago. Well, across the page from the one that they made last spring, I found a winner. There are two options for dressing - creamy or oil-based. I like oil-based coleslaw better, so that's the one I made, but I bet the creamy would be tasty too, if that's your thing. I made it with all red cabbage, because that's what we had. We also, after some discussion, left out the jalapeƱos. I think that a tiny amount of bite in the dressing would enhance the experience, but the 2 peppers called for in the recipe would probably be too much - I'll have to consider whether I want to try some pepper in the next batch. And there will be a next batch, because this coleslaw is really good. Seriously. I think it's the lime, but whatever it is, wow. I made it mid-afternoon Saturday and was distracted by the yummy smell for several hours before we ate it for dinner, and the tasts was a good as the smell. As long as you have a food processor for cutting the cabbage, this is easy, so I would give it 1 bar and 4 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment