Monday, September 20, 2010

Pad Thai for the Parental Units

Now that I am living in Chinatown, I figure I better get up to date on my Asian cooking – so I made the Rebar Pad Thai for the folks and aunt and uncle on Saturday. I substitutes chicken and shrimp for the tofu, left out the sambal, in deference to the non-spicy palates of my guests, and left out the cilantro in deference to my own non-soap-loving palate... It was relatively easy to make – there are a few steps, so you kind of have to do all your prep and make sure you’ve read the whole recipe before you proceed, but there’s nothing “hard”. I appreciated the instruction that said “the noodles will all clump together. That’s ok. This is where most people give up, but keep going.” I don’t think it’s the best pad Thai I’ve ever tasted, but it was quite satisfying, and probably the best I’ve ever made (not that I’ve made a whole bunch). When I was making it, the molasses in the sauce seemed overpowering, but it blended nicely with the other ingredients in the final product. I might dabble in other pad thai recipes, if another was recommended to me, but I would definitely make this one again. Unfortunately, I didn’t get the camera out, so no pics, but there was barely any left, so it seemed to go over well (as did the rice paper spring rolls that I served along with it – despite the fact that we all need practice rolling, people like to make their own food!). Probably 3 stars and 3 bars for finickyness.

No comments:

Post a Comment