Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Bircher Muesli- a breakfast of champions!



Some of you may know about my addiction to oatmeal, which I have to admit, has now been a refined to an addition to bircher muesli. Yes, I've eaten this breakfast every morning since I first made it, last week. Although some may consider oats boring and predictable, this wholesome bowl of goodness is what I crave every morning now. I mix it up by adding different fruits and nuts (local Saskatoon berries are especially good, but also walnuts from my yard and ground flax). I have recently learnt about the health benefits of soaking oats overnight and combining oats with yoghourt to help digestion and increase uptake of nutrients (Sally Fallon, Nuriting Traditions), so I was pleased to see those steps included in this recipe. According to Wikipedia, birchermüsli was invented by the Swiss Germans' (as so many good things are like Toblerone, cheese fondu, and yodeling), and they even eat a version of this for supper: Birchermüsli complet with butterbrot and milk coffee! Think about it, Rebar. If I could give a staple 4 stars I would, but 4 stars are reserved for special indulgences like chocolate cake, so 3 stars and 1 bar.

1 comment:

  1. Ok, you've inspired me to give this a try... I'm on the lookout for a new healthy breakfast alternative.

    ReplyDelete