Wednesday, March 17, 2010

lentil and split sea soup (p. 142)

I made the lentil and split pea soup this weekend - this included making, for the first time, the vegetable broth, instead of relying on my stock of turkey broth from the freezer. The broth turned out nice and coloured, and I have extra in the freezer. I had to go a bit off book on the spices, since I didn't have coriander or tumeric (so curry powder stood in). It turned out pretty well, but not as good as the Greek Red Lentil, which is one of my favourite soups! Also, I found that the lentils were well-cooked before the peas were - I think if I made it again I would soak the peas for longer than the lentils to get them more hydrated (the recipe says to soak and cook them together). All in all, a good hearty soup, but not what I usually expect from Rebar. Maybe with the Mint Mango Chutney (recipe in a side-bar on the page), it would be more exceptional? Perhaps I will add some apple chutney that is in the fridge to my next bowl ....

1 comment:

  1. We added the apple chutney (Moosewood Cookbook recipe), and it was an excellent addition!

    ReplyDelete